Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Its been really weird recently

My mom, age 70! got full fledged mono with everything and her liver tests were off. She is getting better now, liver function fine, still has mono though. She is in fact doing better than most 20 somethings I know who have had mono. In the beginning she was complaining that she felt okay, it was just hard to get up!!! We responded then don't get up! She seems to be getting the hang of it. Its been less than a month and last night she went off to a village board meeting, my dad assured me he would go pick her up if needed.

My dad reacted in his usual way, letting her do whatever and then getting her back to the bed or couch when she collapses. When she has been hospitalized in the past she usually heads for the parking lot, with my father trailing, they have this routine down pretty good after all these years.

My dad had shingles a few years ago, he was back riding in a few weeks. My parents are usually healthier than their children, so it is quite scary when they actually do get sick.

####

On a very bad note, J. had a massive stroke about two weeks ago. He's in a drug induced coma and we all hope for the best.

This is hard to explain the relationship, so I will say he is the son of a
close family friends, brother of current friend, husband of a woman who
worked for me and my childhood friend. I have known these people literally all my life, his mom who worked in the hospital saw me right after I was born. Our parents went to college together. They have 3 children, and we have 4, we are the same ages at they are, except my baby brother. J. and I are the oldest of the children. Our families used to go camping together, I lived with his parents when I first came to Minnesota. I was at his wedding as well as numerous dinners, parties, ect... Needless to say this is very upsetting, a kind of a resigned helplessness.

We used to think we were the unlucky ones, with my brother's brain tumor, my car accident injuries, my other brother, but this is so beyond that right now.

####

a bit worried about someone else too.


Laurie made this comment,
I hope your mom is better soon and I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's stroke.

Susan made this comment,
Thanks Laurie!

Oh she will be, she has a sewing show to attend with me up here in Nov.

yes, it is definitely not good, but maybe he'll be okay eventually.

No comments: