Thursday, September 8, 2005

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when? Hillel-30 BC-9AD

From Terry k's blog today:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pecunium/131557.html

#############
God I wish I had something else to write about.
An author friend of mine once said he wrote about things which pained him, this seems to be one of the times this is what moves me.

What we did on our vacation by way of Making Light

Words fail me.

Gretna, well right now I want to wipe them from the face of the map. It's not a good response, not a rational one, and one which; if induldged wouldn't really make me feel any better; but the more I see of the venality of those who might have helped the colder runs my blood, the more coherent becomes my rage and the more I want an Old Testament God of wrath and smiting to manifest himself and show these people how they have failed their fellow man.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am for myself alone, what am I? If not now, when?"

When indeed, and what are they?

#########

I understand Terry's want of "an Old Testament God of wrath and smiting to manifest himself and show these people how they have failed their fellow man."

Throughout the New Orleans/Katrina Tragedy I have many times been reminded of religious texts, particularly the Torah/OT/Books of Moses. I have seen some people write that this is punishment for the sins of the city, but it would be hubris to think so, one only has to look at the Book of Job to see that.

On a humanity level so many people have failed in so many ways, though there are also the brave and compassionate. I know people are looking for heads to roll, so there will be heads. Maybe those really responsible will be held accountable but in my scepticism I truly doubt there will be more than scapegoats.

"No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee." -- John Donne

No comments: