Sunday, December 25, 2005

Getting into winter-first part written November 30

oh its gorgeous out!  The snow, light and fluffy, brushes off the car with no scrapping, decent traction to walk in.  Its not too cold, about 15 above, the air is crisp and fresh.  The trees limbs outline with a line of snow. 
Its funny but yesterday I was freezing and it was warmer!!!  Last night I couldn't get warm, took a shower to warm up, wore my floor length terry robe for a while but then when it was time to sleep in my summer night shirt or one of my large holey t-shirts, I was cold again!  The night before I slept nude because everything was in the wash, but my arms were cold.

I wore out my granny gowns over the past few years, one I kept going with patches and additional lace, but when I finally put my foot through it I knew it was gone!   I was going to make another one but I haven't yet.  I got a beautiful green double faced flannel that I have been staring at wondering  what to make.  I'd like to make a big heirloom gown that buttons down the front with smocking, lace and ribbons like a lanz gown but better, very subtle of course, because I am not into that romantic antebellum thing.  So last night I looked at the fabric and decided I was too lazy right now and besides I wanted to be warm NOW! 

Then I remembered some 100% blue cotton knit I had gotten for a summer nightshirt in May.  I had even cut it out but decided it would be too warm. I dug it out and decided I was too lazy to do the original bias bound neckline.  So I dug out some blue lingerie lace which didn't feel too scratchy. So at about 11:15pm I began to sew it up.  First, I stablized the shoulders using tailoring tape (lazy), then measured and placed the lace.  The lace was really do wide for the v-neck but I used it anyhow, the v is a bit more revealing than I intended but ....   So anyway I sewed it up,  I was too lazy to thread up my cover stitch machine so I didn't bother with the hem or sleeves hems.  This was a high tech, down and dirty. A friend said you just whipped it up?  I said sure, anyone can with the right tools and materials.
Fabric- 100% cotton knit interlock
Tools:
cutting table, rotary cutter and mat/press board
steam iron
fusible tailoring stabilizer
very fine silk pins
chalk
thread- 3 cones serger, one spool 50 wt cotton for sewing machine
sewing machine
serger
tailors points
applique scissor for trimming lace
temporary adhesive spray
optional LOL! to finish the hems- cover stitch machine

I have some more cotton knit in Red and peach, maybe I will make a few more.  Might use heirloom lace next time and see how that feels.

Finished night shirt. I slept in it last night and it was so warm and toasty I didn't want to take it off this morning.

Here's a picture of it.

This is written today.

The first night in it was great but the second was more like the princess in the pea, the lace occasionally brushing my skin drove me nuts, and like the girl who ripped the bed curtains down from the ceiling one night because they bothered her, I kept pulling on the lace until I eventually took off the nightshirt.  The next morning instead of being found asleep among curtains, rods and bits of plaster, I just found the nightshirt on the floor with a few rips in the lace. 

I patched the lace but didn't find a solution until just now. I backed the lace with too layers of matching illusion, not as cool looking but more sensible.  To liven it up a bit I top stitched the edge of the lace with matching Haloshimmer, a Mylar holograph thread, it might be a little much, I will see how it goes.  I suppose I should finish the cuffs and the hem ;-)  I suppose I should take some update pics...

Fabric: 100% nylon stretch tricot illusion
Tools:
serger
sewing machine
thread- 3 cones serger, one spool 50 wt cotton and holograph for sewing machine
microserrated scissors
wonder tape

The next one will have cotton heirloom lace or nothing!

No comments: