Sunday, October 14, 2007

Another propaganda poster

For those who don't know I studied propaganda academically and was briefly enrolled in a phd program but as some would say "life had other plans."
My main area of interest is British World War I propaganda, and Chinese Communist Propaganda. The British because it was what everyone steals from and the Chinese health stuff because it was so effective.
One of my favorite places to hang out in terms of propaganda is the Imperial War Museum in London which is located in what once was the central part Bethlem Royal Hospital (1815-1930) for lunatics and is where the term Bedlam comes from.
While grabbing the link for the museum I notice they are currently having an exhibit I would LOVE to see called Weapons of Mass Communication.
Incidentally the King George poster on the above page link is the original that Germany and the US ripped off for their own propaganda campaigns.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time you're in Austn, you should drop by the UT Law School library. They have a pretty extensive colleciton of WWI probaganda posters.

http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/hyder/posters/

Susan in St. Paul said...

Thanks Sam! I will do that, perhaps you could even join me...

Mommy said...

I like old posters as such, but more for the artistic aspects. Politics and politicians and their agendas bore me to no end... which is probably why I'm more susceptible to propaganda. Ha.

(Sam, perhaps you should pull your head out of your briefs [of the legal variety, of course] for a moment. You had two misspellings/typos.) ;)

Laurie said...

Jen, he had 3 typos: Austn, colleciton, probaganda. Not that anybody's counting.

Anonymous said...

I assure you, Mrs. soon to be E, the Ministry is very scrupulous about following up and eradicating any error. If you have any complaints which you'd like to make, I'd be more than happy to send you the appropriate forms.

Laurie said...

I've never been to Austin. I wonder if Sam gives tours.

Susan in St. Paul said...

Let's do a group tour! I have a good friend in Austin, Dorothy has one nearby at that lake, and the S, um I mean, Sam knows it too.

maybe during sxsw next year?

Laurie said...

Now, that sounds interesting!

Laurie said...

Oops, just checked the 2008 SXSW dates. I just booked a room in New Orleans for 3/14, 15 and 16/2008.