Monday, April 7, 2008

At 12:03 am I saw this

PSA on network TV directed at kids and their parents about the pandemic flu. It was followed by a PSA for kids about Arbor Day!

Several times when I have asked public health representatives why they aren't doing more to inform the general public about the pandemic, I have been told that they are concerned that people will panic.

I guess they think going through the kids will keep the adults calm?

I saw this PSA first late one night on public television, this is the first time I have seen it on network. Now how many children and parents of young children are up this late on a Sunday night/ Monday morning?

This PSA is referred to as "Questions" there is another one I have yet to see called "Know"

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Good grief. I never get sick. Watch me catch "The Pandemic."

Anonymous said...

Call me silly, but I don't see why the public health authorities should be doing more to create hysteria over a purely hypothetical threat. Besides, anyone who would do anything to prepare probably still has lots of leftover of Y2K supplies.

Susan in St. Paul said...

I always call you silly anyway ;-)

I think a serious hand washing campaign would help public health in general, as would people not going to work when they are sick and contagious.

There is tons of taxpayer money being spent to educate big business on how to deal with a certain percent of their employees being sick or dead, I just think some of that should be spent on a more grassroots level.

The current TB problems are real enough, as is hepatitis. Some of the same propaganda could be used for them.