Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Good Film, Bad film, thoughts on art and film

Every so often my brother gets 99 cent coupons for films at Hollywood Video which he gives to me. You can rent three movies at 99 cents each, so I go and pick out three that catch my fancy at the moment. I don't bother reading reviews, I just grab what might be interesting. Usually I end of up with decent if not good films, this time I was not so lucky on one of them. I haven't watch the third one yet.

"Last Life in the Universe" a strange Thai film, maybe the first Thai film I have seen, as opposed to films shot in Thailand, there are tons of those. It was quite intriguing, a mystery of sorts. I imagine it might be harder for a viewer totally unaware of Thai and/or Japanese culture, but maybe not. I quite liked it, parts are dreamy, it is not a simple film. The sets, the costumes, the scenery are great. The main actor and actresses are amazing. I strongly encourage seeing it. its in Thai, Japanese and English, with English subtitles. I saw it once through and then the 2nd time with the cinematographers commentary.

"the Kiss" was dull, I was not drawn into the story, not the current one or the story within the story, the scenes were okay, the sex was dull, I liked the dog best of all the characters. Some stuff was just stupid, one of the characters has the same short hair style in her 20's as in her 30's, and both times its silver? Not worth my time, not worth my $1.05.

I have seen a lot of films over the years. While in college, I interned for Redstone Theaters/Showcase Cinemas and got comps at all the local theaters, I also had friends who worked in various art house theaters, still do. For many years I saw almost a film a night. I am like that with classical music too, when I could get free or very inexpensive seats ($1-2) to the orchestra, I would go every night. I guess when possible I prefer a high level of artistic input in my life. I like to have live music in the background when I am writing or sketching out ideas. I go through periods of practically living at the local art museum as well, its easy to write or create there. I don't really care what critics think, I know what I like. Some critics I agree with, some I don't, but I still prefer to make up my own mind.

Nowadays, I frequently get invited to opinion maker preview screenings of independent films, I go when I can. Those are usually fun because the director is often there and you can ask questions. I saw the Chorus that way (you MUST see that). I also like them because they are free, and are about the only time I see a film in the theater at night. I have only walked out of one, "High Art" because I was bored, drugged slow lesbian sex just doesn't do anything for me, and the film felt slower than "Round Midnight" that was at least a decent film with good music.

No comments: