Thursday, May 8, 2008

Before the Rains



Tonight I went to an advance screening of "Before the Rains. "
I had 4 free tickets but none of the usual suspects was free to go, so I went alone. I am kind of glad I did. It is a very beautiful powerful and emotional movie, I sat still for almost of it, there was one scene where I closed my eyes for a bit, but the sound still made an indelible image on my mind.

Its an Ivory Merchant production so I knew it would be incredibly beautiful and well told. There is just nothing like one of their films. Unfortunately, Ismail Merchant died a few years ago while working on the film White Countess and I was worried that was the end, but the company is still involved in making films which is great!

The movie is sent in the amazingly lush Kerala, India during 1937, 10 yrs before the British left. Its about the interactions between an English tea farmer and the local villagers at the beginning of the Indian movement that lead to the partition and India gaining independence from the British.
For me, the movie was about people being caught between beliefs, cultures and change and not understanding the difference one white lie can make.

It opens today in New York and LA.



For you Texans it is a Houston WorldFest Winner!
3 Awards!

Best Picture
Best Cinematography- Santosh Sivan
Best Music- Mark Kilian

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I'll add it to NetFlix. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Some of the un-usual suspects might have been able to go.

Susan in St. Paul said...

Laurie- Just make sure you dig out your handkerchief!

Un-usual suspect- I am doing a blog post just for you.