Sunday, April 23, 2006

After my previous post, I received some emails saying I was being too pessimistic regarding what might happen next in Nepal. That once the king restored power things would be alright.
Its wasn't pessimism or even gut feeling on my part, it was history. Things haven't been "all right" in Nepal for quite some time. Since the Maoist insurgence began in 1996, 13000 people have been killed. Most of those killed have been in the last 5 yrs. There are conditions that make the Maoist attractive to some of the population, and many have no choice.

There are a lot of women in the Maoist "army," which I unfortunately find very understandable. If I was a woman in the hills, doing subsistence farming, working 16 hrs days, only to be passed from father to husband, knowing that no matter how hard I worked, I and my loved ones could still starve, being a Maoist may not look that bad. Under those conditions if someone offered me food, a gun, power with the organization, and the dream of a better future, I would like to think I could resist, but it would be so tempting. Also what happens if you say no? Do you really have any choice? From what I understand support for the Maoists is often obtained through a do it or else method.

Beyond the status of women in Nepal, there is also the politicians who seem unwilling to compromise to work together towards the good of the people and country. This must change before anything gets better. One hopes the past year will convince them, but I doubt it.

No comments: