Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ring of Fire

So tonight I saw my first tribute band I think, Boss Grant and the Johnny Cash Revue at a biker bar called Whiskey Junction. My friend's husband got us tickets, it was suppose to start at 9:30, it was more like 10:30.
We were invited to sit down in a reserved area by a nice group from the Cold Spring Brewery.
The president of the company, a big Johnny Cash fan, brought a coach load of folks down from wherever Cold Spring, Mn is to hear the band. He also sang with the band on the Ring of Fire. I did a voice message of it and sent it off to the usual suspects, I don't know how to put audio here though. There were a few very bouncy people dancing, but most people stood or sat and listened. There were men in cowboy boots and women with big hair. The warm up band was all 70's stuff.

It was great fun! I tasted my drink for the year, a hard lemonade mainly because I liked the t-shirts that brewery people were wearing, black with something about liking it cold and hard on them. It tasted like lemons and alcohol. yuck! Last year I tasted Vodka ;-) I guess I get to be belligerent for a while now ;-)
Other than people like Beatlemania, I was unaware of tribute bands until Jack told me about them a few years ago. I think I should hear a few more.

On Memorial Day, I was at another biker bar, Bunker's which was much more crowded, wild, with real stylin' men. It was a very mixed crowd, the Whiskey Junction crowd was all white, middle aged, mainly guys. Bunker's had everything, everyone and packed to the gills! We listened to a set of Dr Mambo's Combo the music there really got you moving, click the link and you can hear them a bit. During the set we saw they did some Prince followed by some Morris Day and the Time stuff which was really nice, including Morris Day/Jerome stylized dancing. More my style of music but really loud and really, really crowded. We went over because one of my girlfriends got stood up again, and I was curious. She danced with a human octopus, and we got to meet "Big Sexy Michael" for whom I did some web work a few months back. We left after one set, as it was long after midnight.

This has nothing to do with anything, just of my two favorite drummers ;-)

On that beat, I am heading to bed, night all!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Sounds like fun!

TBM said...

Is that Shelia E?

Susan in St. Paul said...

Just-

Yep, Sheila E. and Tito Puente!

I have seen her play a few times, she is amazing! She used to occasionally jam with a local latin band around here. I also saw her play with Prince during the Lovesexy Tour.