Saturday, July 31, 2004

Politics-Architects, wheelchairs and stem cells

I have been listening to Michael Graves the architect and product designer being interviewed on a PBS program called Michael Graves on Design. He is currently paralyzed, the after effect of what started as a sinus infection, he says. He said he let himself get too run down and kept working through illness. Many people do that, Mr. Graves was lucky, he lived, although he said it was a close thing.

The interviewer asked many questions about it but the things that stuck me most were:
his talk about pain, always being in pain and his never having considered that. I wonder how many in the audience have any idea what that means?
his wanting to be whole again-a concept that I and my friends sometimes refer to as being real, doing what real people do. 24/7 pain and being real, welcome to our world, Mr. Graves.

Michael Graves is in a wheelchair and he said something about not realizing how much of his work involves movement, that he can't get to things. I think that every architect, every interior designer should spend some time in a chair, checking out their design.

When asked about his future, he said he put his hope in stem cells, after the election.

If only every person effected by with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases, spinal cord injury, stroke, burns, heart disease, diabetes, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, advanced kidney cancer, lymphoma; Leukemia; Lymphoma; myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative diseases, various other cancers including the one my brother had-astrocytoma, ... anyway, if only everyone whose life could be spared or improved by unlimited lines of stem cells voted along stem cell lines, we could change the world. Maybe ru486 could be released for tumor treatment too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A visitor made this comment,
I agree. Well, for the point I'm making that is, I agree about the bit of designers and suchlike to have to try out their designs. I've found personally, and seen with others, that too many things are made and designed, etc. with the... what I'll call "the 100% human." Usually, this individual is a large-sized adult male.

I'm short, and would be petite if not for... my innate curvaciousness? Yeah, well, I've also always been "handy." But I have a hard time finding anything to fit my small stature, small hands, and lesser wrist-strength (because I'm smaller, I just don't have the torque a large man would...).

There is a preconception that only big, strong men use tools and such. I don't fit that; but because I'm not "the 100% human" I am simply not considered. Not only not considered, mind you; but even the conception of such an exception to the "traditional" standard is so far out of their thinking patterns that they cannot conceive of exceptions such as handy women like I am.

Another un-thought-of conception is that families, households, clothes, toys, houses, furniture and toys (et cetera!) don't take into consideration the idea that there are many very, very important considerations to take into account (and acknowledge the existence of, damn-it) that have to do with the idea that a family has infants-to-toddlers-to-little-kids for oh, the first 6 years or so after each child is born. I saw some of this, and did what I could or could understand to do, even before I had my own children; all of which seems to be an unusual reaction or series of actions. Now, though, after having my own children, I am constantly thwarted in living "normally" AND being able to accomodate the idea of my children and family into my life. So, I usually do without anything resembling "normal" activities, because until the societal systems change, even my continual attempts to include family as being a portion of "normality" just won't be possible. The few times I've tried push the envelope of possible, it's been unwieldy all around. I figure, I can sacrifice for my children, to protect them - but I will not allow them to be force to sacrifice for (any damn) society.

Stepping off my soap box....

Humans, in general, should get off their damn ego-trips and acknowledge not only does "person" mean an individual with a personality (not person=humans only); but that there exist others outside of themselves who also have needs which must, I repeat must, be considered.

Oops, sorry, stepped onto another soap box. :) Have a good night, all.

Cyn